Sunday, June 21, 2009

CLEAR YOUR MIND FOR BIAW BY MAKING A LIST

413-03854 One of the first things we learn as a professional organizer is the importance of making lists. Unfortunately, I am soooo not a ‘list” type of girl. I had convinced myself that making lists takes away the “spontaneity” of life. The creativity. The fun.

It’s also not fun to waste precious writing time because you’ve forgotten for the third time to buy eggs at the grocery store. Or toilet paper. Even the most dedicated BIAWers can’t go without this necessity.

Just as our desks can easily become cluttered, so can our minds. And as we age, there’s much less room for clutter. I know I have enough trouble remembering where I parked the car at the mall.

So… I’ve made myself become a list person.  And one of my first lists was a magnetized pad on the refrigerator to jot stuff I need to do or to purchase.

I love this list for many reasons. It’s cute. it’s funny. And it gives my mind the space it needs to be creative.

Do you use lists? If so, how can this tool help your writing?

2 comments:

  1. Ah lists! I love lists. Although I will admit sometimes I get buried in lists. What I really need is a list of where all my lists are! ;)

    Lists are important to my writing. During a BIAW (or any time you're busy writing and don't want to break the flow) keep a list close by. A list of things you need to research, of ideas to come later--or earlier in your story, even those stray ideas that might someday become another tale.

    Ah, the mighty list. I'd be nowhere without them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love lists, though my family aren't as big of fans, because I make them lists, too! I find I accomplish more because seeing the tasks checked off is encouraging.

    I have lists in my planner and always have one on the island in the kitchen. Thanks, Cyndy!

    ReplyDelete