Friday, September 24, 2010

Day 98--the Power 100


Photo credit: doctor_bob from morguefile.com

It's day number 98--or day number 3--depending on how you look at it.

And there's two ways to look at the start of a new challenge, project or habit. You can be excited by the new. Many writers can be way too excited by the new, leaping from project to project, idea to idea, without following through until the end. Look into your creative past. How long does the excitement last? Can you carry that feeling through until reaching the final words of your story or the final brush stroke of your painting to discover the new excitement of finishing?

Or, you can dread the start of something new. This new may not be a new tale buzzing around in your head. More likely the uneasy feeling will stem from a new way of doing something, or a new course of study. For example... I've worked through Julia Cameron's The Artists Way in the past. I wanted to revisit the process in my current state of mind, seeing the need for a push to end my apathy and get writing. However, I find myself dreading one of the major steps in TAW--Morning Pages. So...once again procrastination has won out and I haven't yet begun that journey.

The moral here...you just gotta start. No matter the excitement or the dread, just write those 100 words every day! The joy will continue in either case, and you'll feel so proud of yourself.

Today's prompt...use the words from the picture above...was (I know, passive writing--we can fix it later) activities and world.

No comments:

Post a Comment