Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 73--the power 100


I love moments of synchronisity, don't you.

Last Friday on my way home from work, I started thinking about one of my works in progress. Driving is a good time for that. And I was thinking about one of my heroes, Micah. Perhaps I was thinking about that particular story because a fellow on a motorcycle and I were going the same way--pretty much my entire way home. So we'd grin at each other at the stoplights.

Then I realized that his bike was pretty quiet. Not like some of the crotch rockets that whine as they pass (way too fast), or the low, throaty rumble of a Harley. This machine had a nice, gentle purr. He could even talk to the person in the car ahead of me, and we could all hear.

I looked more closely at the emblem. And my mouth dropped open. An Indian. Micah rides an Indian--a vintage model like the above picture. An Indian! Not the most popular bike in the area, although there is a big store between Lincoln and Omaha--where I say I'm always gonna stop, but never have.  (Admission here--I've never been on a motorcycle. Not once. The experience is, however, on my bucket list!)

So, what are the odds of thinking about a particular character, and one of his modes of transportation, and seeing a similar motorcycle at the same time. For me, it's enough synchonisity to give good feelings about my WIP, and encouragement to finish it!

Today's prompt--How does your character get from one place to another? What's their 'favorite ride'?

No comments:

Post a Comment