Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day 78--the power 100

Since I've been writing these blogs at least a day ahead, you'll have to replace today with yesterday as you read. :)

Today I spent a great deal of time watching the rescue of the miners in Chile. I had the live CNN feed streaming on my computer at work. Even without sound, the experience was fascinating. And when the 4th grade came to lunch, we talked about what was happening since they'd been watching in their classroom--and they checked out my computer screen (which they can see from the serving line) to keep up with the action.

Now, you have to understand that for the most part, I don't do news. Too depressing and I argue too much with the TV. Not that arguing helps.  I couldn't understand why people were glued to their TVs when OJ raced along a freeway in his white Bronco. Aging myself a bit here, huh? And I guess I did watch all the moon landings live. Okay, and I got up in the middle of the night to watch Charles and Dianna get married.

I did watch the towers fall and cried with the world.

So why did the rescue hold my attention? I'm not sure what drew me there in the first place--curiosity I suppose. But then I became involved in the lives of people I'll never meet. I got chills when miner seven stepped from the tiny capsule that lifted him from the depths of the earth. Those chills returned with each miner...just as strong when I just watched number 29 step out to cheers and greet his family, coworkers, rescue team and the Chilean president. It will take a long time for the smiles to fade.

On another note--I can't help but grin as each man steps out in a new tee shirt--(been there, did that, got the tee shirt)

Why blog about this dring a time dedicated to writing 100 words in 100 days? Because, as writers, part of our duty to our readers is to lead them into strong emotions, to let them share smiles and tears, fear and determination with characters.

What better way to do that than to spend today's 100 words describing your reaction to the Chilean miners, their ordeal and their freedom?

No comments:

Post a Comment